Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Let it snow? Maybe in my kitchen...


I have to say that I think my piping skills have gotten a lot better over the last year, so I was excited to try out snowflake cookies again this year. Snowflakes have always been my favorite cut out to decorate. Last year I decorated them all the same see here but the day I made these I decided to do whatever flowed from the tip. I love how they came out, especially the white on white one. I used the No Fail Sugar Cookie recipe posted on Cake Central. I've had a lot of success with this recipe, but have learned that the cookies work better when rolled thicker and that they get really, really hard if you let them bake too long (like even the slightest brown.) To decorate, I used a simple royal icing...I never measure, just mix egg whites and confectioners sugar together until I get the right consistency. I think I decorate cut outs different than some people; I learned from an old employer to paint on (with a smaller paint brush) the royal icing. It is much easier to do (unless you have shapes like a circle, and then you HAVE to pipe the outline to get it perfect) and then pipe on details (I used a #2 tip.)

For the ones with the the blue in the middle, I used a smaller snowflake cutter and cut out the middle, added crushed blue Jolly Ranchers, and baked them (make sure you are baking these on parchment paper....I'm sure they would stick if you didn't.) After I decorated and the royal icing was all set, I brushed on super pearl luster dust. I love how these cookies turned out; it is pretty rewarding to see the difference between my last year ones and these.

9 comments:

Sarah Mina said...

These look delicious! How do you get the intricate icing so perfect?

Kelli said...

Those are beautiful! I always say I want to do cute iced cookies but end up getting bored or frustrated before I finish. Yours just might inspire me to actually carry through this year.

mpaigew said...

I painted the royal icing on and then once that set piped the scroll work on with a #2 tip. It wasn't a very good blog entry...lol..guess I should fix that. =)

Fahrenheit 350° said...

Those colors are amazing! So beautiful!

Crystal Elizabeth said...

Oh, these are adorable. I shall have to be making them.

Rhonda said...

Beautiful! Yes, much improvement made this year! I would love to try this soon! I made your M & M cake for my son's birthday. I have a post scheduled for tomorrow and gave you credit! ;O) It was a huge hit! Thanks for the inspiration!

Love these cookies!

Amber said...

These are beautiful! I would love to learn to how to decorate like this!

Unknown said...

These cookies are beyond elegant! You did a great job!

Mary Poppins in Heels said...

Oh, these are beautiful!