Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Choco-Peanut Butter Swirl Muffin Tops

I continued on with my muffin quest today and decided to try out some chocolate muffin tops. The original recipe is for choco-choco-chip muffins, but I decided to change it up and add peanut butter. I think the result was pretty good; maybe a little more on the chocolate cake side than muffin side, but still not bad. I loved how they rose up all nice and high and pretty, but didn't like that the edges were crusty. Next time I'll have to be more careful where I spray the pan, I guess. I think that when I make them again in the future, I'll try adding some melted chocolate to the batter, and peanut butter chips throughout instead of just on top.

Choco-Peanut Butter Swirl Muffin Tops
10 oz. flour
1 1/2 oz. cocoa powder
11 oz. white sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. milk, plus an additional 2 oz. (I measured out the first, and weighed out the second for the pb mixture...sorry!)
1 egg
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla
2 oz. creamy peanut butter (I'm sure you could use crunchy, but I like creamy)
peanut butter chips

In a medium-large bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl (I used a large measuring cup) stir together 1 1/4 c. milk, egg, oil, and vanilla. Add wet ingredients into the dry (I know this backwards, but I was taught to do this at the last place I worked...it overmixes the batter a little, but you end up with higher tops) and mix well.

Measure out about 7 oz. of the chocolate batter, and add peanut butter and 2 oz. milk. Mix together until smooth.

Spray your muffin top pans with cooking spray. Using an ice cream scoop, fill each cup to almost the top. Spoon the peanut butter batter equally into each cup and swirl around. Top with some peanut butter chips.

Bake in a 350 degree oven until the tops spring back when touched.

I would really also recommend adding the peanut butter chips to the chocolate batter, as the muffin was a little "blah" without.

1 comment:

Risa said...

This sounds delicious!