Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Blueberry bread and a snow day

Why is it that I'm always "surprised" when it gets cold, and then even more surprised when it snows? Like it's an oddity for that to happen in NY? I woke up this morning to snow on the ground, and Em having a 2 hour delay, which turned into a school closing shortly after. Now it's been snowing for hours, and I know that I need to go shovel the driveway before Ad gets home. How did that happen?!

I have been noticing more and more that I am unable to go a day without baking something. Usually I don't have anywhere for it to actually go...so why am I baking? I think I might be starting an obsession with taking food pics. Yes, I am a dork...but I already knew that.



Last night I had some blueberries that I wanted to use up, so I made some blueberry bread. The recipe I was using had good reviews, so I was expecting positive results. It ended up looking nice, but tasted a little bland for me. The recipe didn't actually call for vanilla extract, and I was out of it anyway, so I added almond and some cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. It smelled like eggnog while I was mixing it, so I think that is what I was expecting. It wasn't horrible, but not a recipe I'd use again.
















These blondies, however turned out great. I figured since I was home today, I might as well get started for the next round of Operation Baking Gals. Here is the recipe...

M&M Blondies

3/4 c. butter, softened 1 c. sugar

1 c. packed brown sugar 2 1/2 c. flour

3 eggs 1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. vanilla 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder

1 pkg. baking M&M's

Cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy, then mix in eggs and vanilla. Add flour, salt, and baking powder and blend. Stir in a little more than 1/2 of the M&M's.

Spread batter evenly into a greased 13" x 9" baking dish. Sprinkle remaining M&M's on top. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 25-30 minutes.

No comments: